The snow has started to fall here in Ottawa! Winter can be a scary time for to drive for some, but it doesn’t have to be. Winter Tires are extremely important during winter road conditions. Don’t have your winter tires yet? Check out our Ultimate Tire Guide to learn about your winter tires. If you are looking to purchase a new vehicle, now until November 30th, 2015 Ottawa Dodge is offering a free set of winter tires with any new vehicle purchase. If your all set with your winter tires we have listed some safety tips for you below.
There are many safety tips you can follow to help ensure that your safe arrival at your destination.
- Try to keep your gas tank above half; this will help prevent it from freezing in the extreme cold temperatures.
- Do not use cruise control when driving on slippery surfaces; this includes both wet and icy surfaces.
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated.
- Do not warm up your vehicle in an enclosed area like a garage.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly, this is the best way to avoid skids. Remember it takes longer to slow down on icy roads.
- The normal following distance on dry payment is increased in snowy conditions. Give yourself time to stop.
- Avoid stopping when going up an icy hill.
For more great winter driving tips check out AAA’s site here.